Recently updated on August 4th, 2022
If you are looking to create a handicap accessible tub, walk-in tub conversion, or safety step conversion, you will need to choose the best tub to shower conversion kit.
There are several reasons why you may need to create walk-through access to your tub such as leg injury. Whatever the reason, a tub to shower conversion kit will enable you to access the tub without the need to lift your legs just like in an ordinary shower stall.
The conversion kits come in handy particularly for people with mobility issues and the elderly. However, the main problem is that they are not widely available and only a few brands can be found on the market today.
We went ahead and did the digging for you to find these brands. Luckily, we found 4 conversion kits that we have reviewed in this article.
At A Glance – Best Tub to Shower Conversion Kit
- Best Tub to Shower Conversion Kit: Step-Through Tub-to-Shower Conversion Kit
- Best on Budget: Bathtub to Shower Conversion Kit Step-Through
- Best for Elders: Clean Cut Step Bathtub Accessibility Kit
- Best Premium: Convertible Bathtub Accessibility Kit
Best Tub to Shower Conversion Kit – Comparison Table
|Step-Through Tub-to-Shower Conversion Kit||Check Price at Amazon|
|Bathtub to Shower Conversion Kit Step-Through||Check Price at Amazon|
|Clean Cut Step Bathtub Accessibility Kit||Check Price at Amazon|
|Convertible Bathtub Accessibility Kit||Check Price at Amazon|
Best tub to shower conversion kit Reviews
1. Step-Through Tub-to-Shower Conversion Kit
This conversion kit has a 28-inch long opening with a height of about 10 inches. If you want a longer one, there are other options that can be extended to 24 inches and above.
Furthermore, it works excellent with bathtubs that are made of fiberglass, acrylic, or cast iron.
However, it is important to note that these shower conversion kits come in different sizes. You need to measure the size of your bathtub so as to be able to purchase the best size.
Installing this kit is pretty easy. For instance, if you get the medium conversion kit, simply cut 8 inches deep on the side of the tub – 25 inches at the top of the tub rail and 23 inches at the bottom. Then insert the step-through kit.
During the installation of this shower conversion kit, you also need to have a 2-tube adhesive silicone to prevent water leakage.
- Increases accessibility and safety
- Very easy to install
- Can be used with a standard shower curtain
- Saves the cost of full bath renovation
- It offers good serviceability.
- Comes with procedural guides for quick installation
- None so far
2. Bathtub to Shower Conversion Kit Step-Through
The Bathtub to Shower Conversion Kit is also made of fiberglass with a gel-coat finish that weighs around 4 pounds.
It’s wide opening measures 18 inches while its deep opening measures 10 inches. In addition, it is 4 ¼ inches wide at 1 inch down and 5 inches wide at 10 inches down.
Moreover, it is also very easy to install. All you need to do is cut your tub according to the given measurements, insert the kit and use adhesive silicone attach and caulk it.
This kit works perfectly well on fiberglass, acrylic, and cast iron bathtubs.
Since this kit comes in over 50 different sizes, you are required to measure the size of your bathtub so as to be able to purchase the correct size.
- Very easy to install
- Provides guides for installation
- Requires no additional modification after purchase
- Can be repainted to match your bathtub color
- Highly durable
- You may end up ordering the wrong size since the kit comes in different sizes. Make sure you properly measure your tub first before ordering.
3. Clean Cut Step Bathtub Accessibility Kit
This bathtub accessibility kit comes in two colors; beige and white.
It is equipped with a one-step unit and a 2-part support box structure to enhance the safety of the users they get into the bathtub. Also, it comes with a non-skid step pad to ensure safety as you step into the shower.
In addition, it has two cartridges of industrial-grade adhesive and an angled adhesive application nozzle.
It is also equipped with one cutting template made of cardboard measuring 25.5 inches by 8.5 inches.
Most importantly, the installation process is quite straight forward and an installation manual is included in case you need guidance.
The maximum tub wall width of the shower at the top is 6 inches while the measured depth of the bottom width is 9.75 inches.
- Designed with the user’s safety in mind
- The kit comes with everything needed for installation
- Removes the need for extra furniture in the shower for people with mobility issues
- The can be used with a standard shower curtain.
- Comes with easy to follow instructions
- Some users found the installation to be a bit complex
4. Convertible Bathtub Accessibility Kit
This is a highly versatile conversion shower kit that helps you to easily switch from shower to tub and tub to shower. This is attributed to the removable insert or plug that locks and unlocks quite quickly.
The insert/plug is watertight so you are assured of no water leakage as you take a bath.
So if you don’t want to permanently turn your bathtub into a shower, then get this convertible bathtub accessibility kit.
It works perfectly on most bathtubs including those that are made of fiberglass, steel, or cast iron.
Other important features that this kit comes with include a non-skid step pad, one step and one 2-part support structures for your bathtub, and two cartridges of industrial-grade adhesive with an application nozzle and a waterproof membrane.
- Highly versatile
- Allows you to convert your tub into a shower and back to a tub with ease
- Very safe for the elderly and people with mobility issues to use
- Comes with an in-depth instruction guide
- Takes a while to install especially if you are not a DIY person
It is clear that in order to choose the best tub to shower conversion kit, you need to first measure your tub correctly so that you order to perfect size. Once you have the right size, it is important that you carefully follow the installation guide step by step. If you are not confident enough, kindly consult a professional to install the conversion kit for you.
Based on this review, we highly recommend the convertible bathtub accessibility kit. This is because you do not have to permanently change your tub into a shower. You can convert it back to a tub easily when you want to have a nice soak or into a shower when your grandparents or an elderly person comes to visit you.